Simple Delights

Sunday 2 June 2013

Chinese Pan Fried Chive Pork Bun ( 韭菜猪肉煎包).



Another Chinese bun ( Bao) moments. It has been awhile I was thinking to make this Chinese Pan Fried Bun ( 菲菜猪肉煎包). Is another type of savory bun . It is wrap with meat , vegetable or both. This time round I choose to use chives and pork to be the fillings.

Is excited to know other food bloggers through food blogging , I am submitting this blog for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好 by Miss B Everyone Eats Well in Flanders.. Thanks for her sharing and showing me some of the substitute for different flours. I have bought some Chinese bun flour ( 中筋面粉)to make some bun, so this is the 1st attempt for my Chinese bun ( bao ) journey.

I have used another bun recipe from the same cookbook I used for my Baked Char Siew Bun. Dim Sim Inspiration ( 一点心意)by Choong Su Yin for my bun recipe , as for the filling is my own recipe.

 Serving 12 bao

Ingredients :

Chives & Pork Fillings

350g mince pork
150g Chinese chives (cut into small dice)


 Seasonings
11/2 Tbsp of soya sauce
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of sesame oil
3/4 of corn flour
Adequate pepper
Adequate chicken powder ( I replace the MSG in the original recipe , this is an option)

Method :
1.Combine mince pork and chives with all the seasonings and mixed well. Marinate at least 30min ( I did overnight)

Bao Dough

300g Chinese Bao Flour ( You can used plain flour)
3 tsp of baking powder ( original recipe is 2tsp of double action baking powder )
55g Sugar
6g of yeast
70g fresh milk
70g cold water
20g shortening

Method :

1. Stir flour with baking powder in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle add in sugar , yeast, milk and cold water.
2. User electric standing mixer , knead to form dough. After 10min add in shortening and continue to knead to smooth and elastic dough
3. Roll the dough to form a long strip, divide the dough into 40g each . Flatten the dough , wrap in the fllings and mould it into bao shape and flatten it as per the pan fried bun .
4. Set aside to proof till the size doubles ( about 1.5 hours)
5. Pan fried the bun on low fire. When is lightly brown at one side, turn to the other side continue to pan fried. Add 1tbsp of water when the bun is cooked to steam the bun for moist.

 Be careful as the fire should be low if not the bun will be burn outside and yet uncooked inside. Keep your eyes close when you pan frying the bun.



I did pan fried the bao in low fire , it take sometime to cook through. So to make it easier for myself. I steam the bun for 10min in a hot steamer then pan fried it to crisp the bun.So the fillings is easy to cook through.

I have this as my weekend breakkie. It was so yum. This dough method does not require double proof. As the bun is not very thick ,to me is the dough is soft and yum . It can be heat up in an oven the next day , it still taste crisp and tasty.

If you never make any bun  like me before, maybe you can try this out.The method seem easy and not too difficult to follow.

Happy making and enjoy the fruit of your hand :)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...