Simple Delights

Monday 14 January 2013

Zebra Butter Cake


Finally a successful uncrack butter cake. Of course this is the famous blogger recipe Mrs NgSK's butter cake. However I did some modification and have a chocolate mixed in it , thus it become the Zebra Butter Cake.

When I was young, every Chinese New Year my grandpa will get some buttercakes from a small cake shop in Skudai. In my memory the butter cake was uncrack and with chocolate swirl in it. Each time if anyone mention butter cake, it should be this style and this type to me.This is a childhood thing  we have in our family . Now my grandpa has gone so is this little cake shop. Each Chinese New Year when siblings gather together , we often will talk about the butter cake we have since we were a child.

So these is the reason why I have modify the butter cake recipe and hopefully it will bring back some childhood memory to myself during this near festive season.

The recipe as below ( Adapt from Mrs NgSK's butter cake )

Ingredients :

230gm butter (salted), softened ( I used 240g as this is what left over)
200gm eggs, no shell (4 grade B eggs)
50gm + 110gm sugar
200gm self raising flour, sifted.
60ml milk + 1tbsp of Baileys
40gm dark chocolate ( melted used double boiler method)
1tbsp vanilla extract


Method :

1. Preheat oven at 170C . Prepare a 8 inch round pan..Line the base and grease the sides (greasing helps the cake’s sides to rise well)
2. Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl .Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 50gm sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and 110gm sugar until pale and fluffy. Put in vanilla extract and and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
4. Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in balance of flour.
5. Put half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Pour the balance of egg whites in and FOLD.
6. Separate the batter into half. ( you can measure exactly or estimate), mixed in the melted dark chocolate into one of the batter and fold in well.
7. Use a ladle to scoop the vanilla batter into the round pan, use another ladle to scoop the chocolate batter on top to the vanilla batter in the round pan.
8. Repeat step 7 until all  the batter is finished.
9. Level the batter in the pan.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.( I have it sit on the lower shelf of the oven, each individual oven is different you might want to adjust accordingly)


 Note
 I add in Baileys as I found it make any chocolate dessert smell great .
 This batter is quite thick is not easy for me to have an even style as Zebra Butter cake should be.



So here is my Zebra Butter Cake. The taste is moist and yum , we did not wait till it cool but have our cake as a supper treat on that night. Warm butter cake is irresistable.

I gave a quarter of this cake to a close family friend. Another group of friends come for dinner the next night , they can not resist the cake and nearly forget to keep a slice for the one who come late. The most funny thing was, some gals wanted to share instead of having a whole piece, but after sharing the one slice , they decided to cut one slice each for themself.

Is it a moist fragrance butter cake. Does it resemble the one I had when I was young? Honestly I can not remember the exact taste. At time people always say the one in your memory is always the best. Maybe I should bake this cake as one of my Chinese New Year gift :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...