Simple Delights

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Pandan Layer Cake



This cake was one a popular pandan cake in Malaysia and is my favourite cake among all the pandan cake. I baked this cake 2 years ago, for a friend birthday but it was not quite successful . As the pandan layer on the cake is just too chewy and is not soft as it should be. I have this cake for a dear friend farewell on Dec 12.  She has finished her study in Australia and flying back to Singapore after Christmas.

I have this cake posted today , as I would love to start my 2013 post for a cake I really love. As my friend moving back in 2012, let have a fresh start in this new year with all the good memories we share and look forward to meet each other soon .

When I first bake this cake I used the recipe from -Lily's WaiSekHong. I guess a lot of people know this famous food blogger as she has done lot of baking and cooking which is easy to follow and result is great. However this time round , I used Lily recipe on baking the Pandan Chiffon Cake and the pandan layer I used another recipe .

 Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe : ( I did make some changes)

 Ingredients:
 4 egg yolks
90g castor sugar
160g Cake flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder, sift with flour
1/2 tsp baking soda, sift with flour
100 ml coconut milk
1 tsp pandan essence
50g corn oil

4 egg whites
60g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Method :
1.Beat the egg yolks with sugar till pale white, add in the coconut milk mix well
2.Add in the corn oil mix well with whisk, follow by the flour and combine the mixture till well and smooth
3.Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium speed with electric mixer until the egg whites are bubbly. Add sugar and whip at high speed until stiff form but not dry.
4.Fold 1/3 of whipped egg whites into flour mixture of Step 2. Then, pour this mixture to the remaining egg whites in the other mixing bowl. Fold lightly to combine both mixtures.
5.Pour this combined mixture into a greased and line 8-inch round cake pan
6.Bake at a preheated oven at 165 deg C for 40-45 minutes until a skewer insert come out clean.
7.As soon as the cake is removed from oven, quickly invert the pan and let it cool. (I forgot to invert the  cake and the middle of the cake sort of sink in :( )
8.When the cake is completely cool, run a knife around the sides of pan to remove the cake(I remove the line baking paper and tear it carefully).
9.Slice cake into 4 layers.Let it cool before we assemble with the pandan fudge.

Pandan Layer ( Fudge ) : ( I adapted this from Agnes Chang I can Bake book)

Ingredients:
8tbsp of green peas flour/hoen kwe flour
800ml coconut milk
170g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt ( put in coconut milk)
1/2 tsp of pandan essence
1tbsp of gelatin powder
3tbsp of water

Method:
1. Sprinkle 1tbsp of gelatin powder onto 3tbsp of water in a bowl, leave it to bloom. Have the bowl steam on a bowl of hot water let the gelatin melt.
2.Put the rest of the ingredient into a pot and mix well. 
3. Used medium heat, stir and cook till mixture has thicken and pour in the gelatin to mix well.
4. Keep mixture hot by putting the pot in a pan of hot water to prevent it from setting too quickly.

Assemble:

1. Place a 8" cake ring on a cake board, put 1 slice of cake into the cake ring, there will be space around the cake as the cake will shrink after it cool down.
2. Scoop some pandan fudge to cover the cake and side. Make sure the pandan fudge flow down the side and cover it well.
3. Place another layer of pandan chiffon cake on the pandan fudge repeat the step 2 and till the last layer . As my ring mould is not that high I only manage to have 3 layer for my cake.
4. Some might like to deco this cake with dessicated coconut. however I did not do that , I just want to keep my cake clean .



Simply love the softness of the pandan chiffon cake and the fudge layer is soft , it just too bad the cake is not big enough and we all can only have a thin slice.Surely will make this cake for myself soon.
For this coming year 2013, hope I can bake more , update my blog more frequent. Most of all to learn to appreciate whatever I have in life. This year my hubby and I plan to be not stress but be efficient in doing what we have to do .

Blessed New year to all , be blessed, be loved , be full of joy and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...